Over the years I have collected some resources that I find helpful to couples in crisis. Unless we are lucky enough to have parents who model a great relationship, we struggle with basic communication skills in marriage. Unfortunately we don’t learn these basic principles in our education system either.
I recommend the following resources to read, study, and watch combined with marriage therapy. I find that when the couples I work with do study, read and watch educational material related to marriage we have a lot more time in session to focus on the relationship patterns and issues that need to be healed.
Things to read:
- Excerpts from the Lost art of listening
- Sounds True Interview with Dr. David Schnarch
- How a Green Light Practice Can Change the way you Think, Feel and Act
- The 4 points of balance by David Schnarch
- Free Ebook: Marriage Gems: 10 Secrets for Marital Success
- 10 Golden Rules of Communication
- A Simple Marriage Manifesto
- Four points of balance and Collaborative Alliance
Things to practice:
Videos to watch:
- Grounded Responding-How good communication looks like a game of Tennis
- Free Video E-Course with 14 of the nations relationship experts: Deepening Intimacy
E-courses for marriage
- Married Life 911 is designed as an 8-week online course. All the material is in written and audio, with additional videos to further enhance some of the subjects. Each module also has homework questions and activities to work through. The course takes place in a secure, members only site.
- Free Marriage Courses that come via email every other day. The topics we have covered thus far include Simplicity, Nice Guy/Nice Girl, Marital Communication, Sex, Desire Differences, and Family Life and Parenting
- Sexy Marriage Radio – Itunes Subscription
Scoop It: (Curated articles by Amy Fuller PHD and Fuller Life Family Therapy)